Hardy Plumbing
January 26, 2011


(click for larger version)
Norman Edwards, 64

Twelfth in a long line of East Coast mariners to harvest the Atlantic waters, Norman Conklin Edwards Jr. was born on September 7, 1946 to Elsie and the late Norman Edwards Sr.

Norman early developed a liking for the sea and its lore. Enterprising uncles had built the Edwards Brothers docks at the family-owned Promised Land, located off Cranberry Hole Road. In the early 1930s, Smith Meal Company bought the plants for rendering menhaden (or bunkers) and hired several members of the family as captains.

Many of Norman's early memories involved fishing and hunting. He started fishing Long Island Sound with his cousins, father and grandfather, Samuel Stratton Edwards, at six years old.

With this heritage, it was not surprising that Norman would announce to his mother after returning home from middle school one day, "I'm going to be a fisherman." Dissatisfied with allowing her son to focus on the family trade before having a full understanding of the world's many opportunities, Elsie encouraged her son to attend college.

In the summer of 1964, Norman entered the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT. where he distinguished himself in academics, sports and military leadership.

Upon graduation in 1968, Norman was assigned as a Deck Watch Officer aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Woodbine, homeported in Grand Haven, MI. He quickly showed himself an able seaman, and after a year was assigned his own patrol boat to command.

During the Viet Nam War Ensign Edwards was responsible, with the crew of CGC Point Chico, for patrolling and performing escort responsibilities in and around the San Francisco Bay area. It was during this second tour of duty that he met Lynda Ann White, a California native of the Bay Area.

Lynda and Norman were married on June 9, 1973, and soon packed their bags and returned to Florida State University, where Norman was studying graduate-level Physical Oceanography.

After graduate school, then-Lieutenant Edwards reported to Charleston South Carolina to serve as Executive Officer for CGC Pawpaw. Norman served in a variety of staff and field positions during his Coast Guard service: he worked as Admiral's Aide to the Coast Guard Twelfth District Commander, Instructor at the Coast Guard Academy, Chief of Operations for Pacific Area, and Chief of Staff for District Seventeen.

In 1983, as the first Commanding Officer for the newly independent International Ice Patrol, Commander Edwards exploited newly available radar technology to make the North Atlantic safe for mariners. During his service as the First District Chief of Aids to Navigation, Captain Edwards focused the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the Lighthouse Service by identifying many East Coast lighthouses for the National Register of Historic Places. Captain Edwards, Commodore of Coast Guard Squadrons 42 & 44, enforced trade embargoes placed on Iraq following the First Gulf War.

Throughout the 30 years of his Coast Guard service, Norman served as Commanding Officer of CGC Point Chico, CGC Laurel, CGC Vigorous and CGC Sherman. Aboard CGC Vigorous, Commander Edwards had the privilege of hosting President Ronald Reagan. President Reagan spent several hours aboard the cutter, eating with the crew and learning about the cutter's drug interdiction activities.

As Commanding Officer of the CGC Vigorous, Norman also conducted Alien Migrant Interdiction Operations, fisheries and law enforcement, and Search and Rescue. A particularly satisfying mission aboard CGC Vigorous was the rescue of four Venezuelan coast guardsmen who were crewing a fishing vessel off the coast of Venezuela.

Commander Edwards used sweep width tables he'd helped to develop and found the Venezuelan crew. These sweep width tables have been refined over the years, and are used internationally for Search and Rescue operations.

Norman retired on June 15, 1998. When he was asked to list the 10 most significant achievements of his Coast Guard career, he counted nearly 150 lives whose rescue he had assisted.

Following retirement from the Coast Guard, Norman accepted a position as Operations Manager for the Alaska Marine Highway System, a ferry system serving all of Southeastern Alaska. While employment kept him in Alaska, a tragic event had interrupted well-laid plans to fish commercially with his father.

Norman Sr., died unexpectedly on June 9, 1997 while fishing. With his Dad departed, Norman Jr. tarried in Alaska to finish employment opportunities and see kids off to college.

In the end, though, he could not be distracted from fishing. In 2002 Norman and Lynda returned to their home in Gales Ferry, CT. While they prepared their Connecticut home for sale, Norman built a new home in Amagansett and purchased a fishing vessel. Since then, Norman has fished in Gardiner's Bay. About 150 fishing days each year (and never on Sundays), Captain Edwards would fish mid-Atlantic stocks from a 40-foot stern trawler.

Possessing a keen awareness of his family heritage, Norman enjoyed sharing fishing with family and friends. He shared his fishing catch with friends and neighbors, and began to spend time at the East Hampton Town Marine Museum, sharing stories of the maritime heirlooms donated by the Edwards family.

Eventually, Norman decided to run for Town Trustee to help preserve the natural resources that he loved. Using his academic training and professional experiences as an oceanographer, Norman contributed to several projects, including dredging and wildlife preservation.

Perhaps his most significant contribution as Trustee has been to gather resources necessary to focus on saving the endangered Winter Flounder stock.

In addition to his active professional and political service, Norman was a devout Christian. Norman and Lynda have been active members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for most of their marriage, and Norman has served in many leadership positions over the years. Norman's fight with stage-four brain cancer was punctuated by a loss of mobility and decreased strength and time to serve others. However, Norman never showed fear about the future, but radiated a contagious optimism. If anything, his faith burned brighter and he shared the reason for his hope with everyone he met.

The family received friends at the Yardley & Pino funeral home on Montauk Highway in East Hampton on Sunday evening. A funeral service was held at the Amagansett Presbyterian Church Monday morning. Memorial donations (instead of flowers) may be made to the East Hampton Trustees' "Winter Flounder" project.

Submitted by Samuel Z. Edwards, Norman's son.

Sunshine Lemme, 64

He was a gentle giant, standing six foot six even without his signature cowboy hat . . . Last Thursday, Sunshine Lemme, 64, of Montauk lost his valiant battle with cancer. On Sunday dozens of friends, family, business associates, and community members gathered at Gurney's Inn, packing the restaurant dining room, to celebrate his life.

Sunshine's brother Chuck offered a thumbnail description of Sunshine's youth. He was born Glenn Alan Lemme on August 30, 1946, in Englewood California. The house where he initially lived is no longer there, it's become part of the Los Angeles Airport.

In 1948 the family moved to Fontana, another LA suburb. Life on a rural ranch set the lifestyle for the Lemme family. Sunshine and his two brothers Chuck and Tracey rode the bus through a giant pig farm to get to and from school each day.

A sensitive "tree hugger," Sunshine would be torn apart emotionally whenever any of the ranch's animals were due for slaughter. "He was more interested in the welfare of the farm animals than the profit," Chuck Lemme said.

An avid reader, Sunshine especially loved history and geography, but according to Paul Monte who also spoke Sunday, he could speak about any topic.

After graduating high school, Sunshine went to the Maritime Academy in Marin County, Northern California. He and his younger brother Tracy joined the Army and at 20 years old, he was sent to Viet Nam to run supply boats.

Following his discharge from the service, Glen embarked on a search for self that led to him taking a name more expressive of his disposition. Living in Marin County in the 70s he opened "Soot Yourself," a chimney sweeping company.

When a move to Tucson in 1985 to work with his brothers making cookware failed to pan out successfully, Sunny was next hired by a wealthy family to manage their estate. That brought him to East Hampton about 20 years ago where he met, "the love of his life, Ingrid." The couple was married atop the World Trade Center and celebrate their anniversary each Valentine's Day. She always says she was drawn to him because "he had the kindest eyes." An organ donor, Sunshine gave his loving blue eyes to the International Eye bank.

He could paper the walls of the Gurney's dining room with the dozens of certificates and degrees he earned, Monte offered. Sunshine not only loved to learn, he loved to teach and would often learn how to train other people as soon as he achieved certification. A master's degree in Emergency management from John Jay College was the highlight of his education. He was the director of continuity and compliance at Gurney's and Monte joked about his enthusiasm for a subject many people found "a real snore fest." His voice cracking, he speculated Sunny was up in heaven helping God develop an emergency evacuation plan.

He planned to retire to Swan Quarter, North Carolina, where he and Ingrid have a home, and pursue a position as the county emergency services coordinator.

Monte's voice cracked as he related that last bit of information. Clearly fond of Sunshine, Monte remarked, "I never saw him angry. He never had a bad word to say about anybody." His life devoted to helping and protecting other people, Sunshine had, Monte said "a gentle soul in a hulking body."

"Perhaps the reason God made him so big," he continued, "was to accommodate that huge heart of his."

The family received friends at the Yardley & Pino Funeral Home in East Hampton on Saturday. Said Ingrid, "I know that Sunny loved the never ending stream of firemen and women, ambulance people, auxiliary people and of course all his friends. We sure did, it was such a comfort to us all."

In addition to the services and celebrations in East Hampton and Montauk last weekend, there will be a Memorial Service for Sunshine on Sunday, February 13 at 3:00 pm at the Unitarian Universalist Meetinghouse in Bridgehampton. All are welcome. In lieu of flowers the family suggests memorial contributions to the Montauk Fire Department, where Sunny was firefighter of the year in 2002, and East End Hospice.

Sunshine is survived by his wife Ingrid, his father Dan Lemme of California, siblings Chuck and Tracy Lemme, two sons, Dominic Lemme ( daughter in law Neli Lemme) from Columbia, NC and Thorsten Buehrman ( daughter in law Simone Buehrman) from Wilhelmshaven, Germany and one grandson

grandson David Buehrman.

It was his wishes that his ashes will be brought to his beloved North Carolina and that a tree be planted close to his son and family.


Arthur DeLalla Sr.

Arthur DeLalla Sr. age 78, of Montauk N.Y. died suddenly on Saturday January 22, 2011. Beloved husband of the late Jacqueline DeLalla. He was survived by his children Susan Gildein, Gail Jackowicz, Janet Butera, Ann Hickey, Karen Beatty and Arthur DeLalla Jr. Loving grandfather of 15 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. A mass will be held at St.Therese of Lisieux in Montauk, N.Y. on Saturday January 29, 2011 at 12:00

  1. print email
    January 26, 2011 | 06:56 AM

    Both obituaries are beautifully written. Thank you.

Reader Feedback Submission
Use this form to submit Reader Feedback.
* required value
Your Name*




Site Search

2107 Capeletti Front Tile
Gurney's Inn