May 31, 2006
Deadline for submissions is Friday at noon. Fax them to 324-2351 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tina Georgopoulos will lead a workshop on dance, combining jazz, aerobic, funk, and hip hop, at the Ross School from 7-8:15 p.m. The cost is $30; women only. Georgopoulos will also lead a four-week dance class beginning next Wednesday (7-8:15 p.m., $72). Call 907-5376 for more information.
• Explore the local salt marshes by kayak with naturalist Gregg Drossel from 5:15-7:15 p.m.; all equipment will be provided. Trips will also be held next Wednesday and on June 14; the cost is $60 per trip. Call the Ross School at 907-5376 for more information.
• The East Hampton Village Board of Trustees will hold a special session at 11 a.m. in the Emergency Services Building.
• Outrigger canoe classes will be held on Fridays through June 23 ($200). Meet at the end of Beach Lane in Wainscott; bring a wetsuit. Call the Ross School at 907-5376 for more information.
• A mountain biking workshop will be held on Fridays through June 23 from 5-6:30 p.m. with Bill Matejovic, the mountain biking instructor at the Ross School. The cost is $80, $50 extra to rent a bike. Call 907-5376.
• A golf clinic with Leslie Andrews will be held from 1-4 p.m. at the Montauk Downs State Park Golf Course. All levels welcome; $150. Call the Ross School at 907-5376 for more information.
• The Cormaria Center for Spiritual and Human Growth in Sag Harbor invites the community to "Come to the Quiet" spiritual program, beginning with Vespers at 5 p.m. The program will be offered once a month through September. Call 725-4206 for information and directions.
• Claudia Matles will lead a Pilates mat class from 6:45-7:45 p.m. for four weeks starting Monday at the Ross School. The cost is $72; call 907-5376.
• Discuss the book The Da Vinci Code today, next Wednesday, and June 14 at the Bridgehampton United Methodist Church at 7 p.m. For more information, call 537-0753.
• The Southampton Trails Preservation Society will be holding its monthly meeting from 7-9 p.m. in the Southampton Town Hall basement meeting room. Call Glorian Berk at 283-2638 for more information.
• Temple Adas Israel in Sag Harbor will celebrate the Festival of Shavuot, the anniversary of the day when Moses was given the Torah, with a 6:30 p.m. service conducted by Rabbi Leon Morris. Shavuot/Shabbat services will be held at 8 p.m. Call 725-0904 for more information.
• At the "Sing and Play Ole" program at the Quogue Library, children ages two to four and a half will be taught Spanish vocabulary on Fridays through June 23 from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Call 653-4224 to register.
• Celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Southampton Trails Preservation Society and National Trails Day with a barbecue from 4-8:30 p.m. at Nova's Ark Project, Millstone Road in Water Mill. Call Dai Dayton at 537-0660 for information and reservations.
• The U.S. Coast Guard and the USCG Auxiliary will hold at an open house from noon to 4 p.m. at the Shinnecock Station in Hampton Bays. Tours and demonstrations will be held, and refreshments will be served.
• There will be a yard sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the South Fork meetinghouse, 977 Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Turnpike. Proceeds from the event benefit community programs; call 324-4665 for more information.
• The Rogers Memorial Library is offering the Department of Motor Vehicle five-hour pre-licensing training course starting at noon. Bring your permit; the cost is $49. Call 283-0774, ext. 548 to register.
• Take a five-mile hike through the Long Pond Greenbelt North Loop from 9-11 a.m. with the Southampton Trails Preservation Society. Meet at Mashashimuet Park parking lot in Sag Harbor; call Bob Wolfram at 725-4237 for more information.
• The work of Riverhead artist Robert Mehling will be featured at the Quogue Library through June. An opening reception will be held at 3 p.m. All are welcome; call 653-4224.
• The Southampton Artists Association will host two figure drawing workshops at the Southampton Veterans Hall, 2 Pond Lane. Call 725-5851 for more information about the 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. class; call 283-8613 for more information about the 7-9:30 p.m. class. The cost is $5, and all levels are welcome.
• The book discussion group at the Southold Free Library will meet at 10:30 a.m. to discuss Pompeii by Robert Harris. The book will also be discussed next Wednesday at 7 p.m. Call 765-2077 for more information.
• The Shelter Island Public Library's 16th Annual Book and Author Luncheon will be held at noon at the Offshore Club at the Dering Harbor Inn. The price is $55 per person; call 749-0042 to make a reservation.
• The Eastern Long Island Quilter's Guild 25th Anniversary Peconic Quilt Show will be held at Suffolk Community College from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $6 for one day; $10 for two days.
• Take a walk to see the wildflowers of Orient Beach State Park at 9 a.m., and learn the origin of how the flowers got their names. Meet at the snack bar of Orient Beach State Park.