May 24, 2006
Deadline for submissions is Friday at noon. E-mail submissions to email@example.com or fax to: 324-2351.
• Author Sylvia Mendelman will give a lecture on "Boating — Marinas in the Harbor, The Hurricanes, Looking Ahead" at noon at the East Hampton Senior Citizen Center. Call 324-5666.
• Susan Ecker will teach a class in drawing and painting for all levels from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Ross School in East Hampton. Call 907-5376.
• Clair Hooton will teach the centuries-old Chinese Taoist martial art, Tai Chi Chuan from 6 to
7 p.m. at the Ross School.
• Roseanne Orlando will lead a weight-training workout at the Ross School from 5:15 to 6:30 p.m. From 6 to 7 p.m., Clair Hooton will teach Tai Chi Chuan in the Intermediate Level. From 6:30 to
8 p.m., Eduard van Raay will teach about College Savings Options. Also, from 7 p.m. Eileen Weilbacher will lead a nutrition lecture on healthy fats. Call 907-5376.
• La Leche League of East Hampton is meeting at 10 a.m. at the home of Janice D'Angelo, 3 Lincoln Street, Sag Harbor. Call 324-8099.
• The East Hampton Rotary Club is holding its annual Memorial Day weekend Antique Show and Sale from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the grounds of the historic Miss Amelia's Cottage in Amagansett. Continues Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cost: $5. Call 24-6353.
• Join East Hampton's Hugh King for a tour through East Hampton's famous coffin-shaped cemetery, the Burying Ground, and come away with fascinating insight into the lives of East Hampton's earliest residents. The tour starts at 10 a.m. at Mulford Farm. Cost: $10. Call 324-6850.
• Leslie Andrews will hold a Golf Clinic at the Ross School in East Hampton from 1 to 4 p.m. Cost: $150.
• The East Hampton Trails Preservation Society will meet at 4 p.m. at the Montauk Library.
• Pen and ink drawing classes will be held at the Arts & Crafts Center, 24 Jackson Avenue in Hampton Bays on Thursdays through June 15 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sponsored by the Town of Southampton; the fee is $70, plus a $30 materials fee. Call 728-8585 to register.
• The Sagaponack Common School (The Little Red School House) is holding an open house from 12 to 2 p.m. Parents and children are welcome; the school is now registering children for the 2006-07 school year. Call 537-0651 for more information.
• A DVD presentation of peace activist Prem Rawat's speech to the United Nations Association in Malaysia entitled "A Vision of Peace" will be held at 5:30 p.m. in the Hampton Library in Bridgehampton. Admission is free.
• The family department at Rogers Memorial Library in Southampton will have laptime stories for children ages 18 to 36 months at 11:15 a.m. and on Friday at 11:15 a.m. Call 283-0774, ext. 519 to register.
• Southampton High School will be hosting the second annual science research and methodology symposium at 7 p.m. Call 591-4600 for more information.
• A slide lecture on techniques for taking successful photographs of home gardens and landscapes will be held at this month's meeting of the Horticultural Alliance of the Hamptons, at 7:30 p.m. in the main auditorium of the Bridgehampton Community House. There is a $10 suggested donation for non-members; call 537-2223.
• Temple Adas Israel, the Sag Harbor Synagogue, will open its 2006 season with Shabbat services at 8 p.m., led by Rabbi Leon A. Morris. Call 725-0904 for more information.
• The bilingual interactive exhibit "In My Family, En Mi Familia" will open at the Children's Museum of the East End today. Call 537-8250.
• The Southampton Trails Preservation Society will be sponsoring a walk around Trout Pond/Clam Island from 10 a.m. to noon. Meet at Trout Pond parking lot on Noyac Road for the three-mile hike. Call Ken Bieger at 283-5432 for more information.
• Chess for children ages six to 11 will be held in the family programming room of Rogers Memorial Library at 11 a.m. Chess for 11 to 17-year olds will be held at noon. Call 283-0774, ext. 519 to register.
• The Quogue Library holds an independent game group every Saturday at noon. Bring games; Scrabble, chess, mah jong and many more will be provided. Call 653-4224 to register.
• The Bridge Gardens Trust on 36 Mitchell Lane in Bridgehampton will be open Saturdays and Wednesdays from 2 to 4:30 p.m. through September. Admission is $15; call 537-7440.
• Young adults ages 11 to 17 are invited to make a designer drawstring knapsack at the Rogers Memorial Library from 1 to 4 p.m. There is a $7 signup free; call 283-0774, ext. 548.
• The annual Spring Fair will be held on the front lawn of the Hampton Bays elementary school from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with more than 30 vendors in attendance.
• The Southampton Trails Preservation Society will sponsor a tour of Sag Harbor from 10 a.m. to 12:30. Meet at the Long Wharf; call Tony Garro at 725-5861 for more information. There will also be a Mashomack trek from 9 a.m. to noon. Bring $5 for the ferry and preserve donation, and meet at the North Haven Shelter Island Ferry. Call Dianne Rulnick at 726-5903 for more information.
• On Mondays at the Water Mill Museum there will be hands-on milling sessions for children ages five and up from 11:30 to noon through August 21. For more information, call 726-4625.
• The Southold Town Recreation Department is conducting a free hands-on lecture on "Aging in Place" from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Rec Center in Peconic. Call 765-5182.
• The Board of Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. at the Southold Free Library.
• A slide presentation of the Madoo Conservancy will be given by Krystyna Schnier at 7 p.m. at the Southold Free Library.
• The Southold Zoning Board of Appeals will meet from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Town Hall.
• The Southold Town Recreation Department will offer a class on how to treat your neck on Thursday evenings from 7 to 8 p.m. through June 15 at a cost of $18 for the full four weeks. Call 765-5182.
• A movie night for grades six and up will be presented from 6:30 to 8:30 at the Southold Free Library. Ferris Bueller's Day Off will be shown. Call 765-2077.
• The Southold Garden Club will hold a plant sale from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Silversmith's Corner, Main Road and Youngs Avenue in Southold. Proceeds go to the club's scholarship fund. Rain or shine. Free. Call 477-8260.
• Jeffrey Owen Katz, Observatory Director, Custer Institute will give a lecture on "The Sun and its Impacts on Terrestrial Events" from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Institute in Southold. Cost: $12 for non-members, $10 for members. Call 765-2626. Also, after dusk, there will be stargazing.
• The second annual Relay for Life Open will be held at the Rock Hill Golf Course. A fee of $135 per golfer includes a barbecue luncheon, unlimited use of the driving range, cocktail hour, and buffet dinner. There will be entertainment and a raw bar on the course. Proceeds will go to the Riverhead Relay for Life, a community based fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. For more info, call 369-5584.