May 03, 2006
Deadline for submissions is noon on Friday. E-mail submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 324-2351.
• Join the Group for the South Fork for a paddle up Goose Creek at the north end of Three Mile Harbor, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Bring your own boat; for reservations and more information, call Anita Wright at 537-1400, ext. 17.
• Marty Shepard, the publisher of The Permanent Press in Sag Harbor will speak, with two local authors, Chris Knopf and Jess Gregg, both recently published by the press, from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Southampton Campus of L.I.U. Tuition is $20; call 287-8316 for more information.
• There will be a skateboard competition sponsored by the Town of Southampton at 2 p.m. at Red Creek Park in Hampton Bays. Skateboarders must wear a helmet, elbow pads, and kneepads, and daily registration fee or annual skate park membership is required to enter the competition. Call 728-8585 for more information.
• The Southampton Little League's annual Spaghetti Dinner will be held at Paul's Italian Restaurant, 21 Hill Street, Southampton from 4:30 to 8 p.m. The cost is $10 for adults, $6 for children and will be available at the door. Takeout will be available.
• Learn how to make your own greeting cards in a "One-stroke" painting class that will be held at the Arts & Crafts Center on Jackson Ave in Hampton Bays from 7 to 9 p.m. The fee is $15 for residents, $25 for non-residents, plus a $15 materials fee. Call the Parks & Recreation Department at 728-8585 for more information and to register.
• The Coast Guard Auxiliary is offering a safe boating course for personal watercraft operators next Tuesday, next Wednesday, and on May 16 and 17 from 6:45 to 8:45 p.m. at the Hampton Bays Library. The cost is $45, $10 for additional family members. Send registration to Valerie Zuccarelli FSO-PE, 6 Bettina Ct., Hampton Bays, 11946. Include name, number of people attending, your phone number, and a check payable to the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 18-03. For more information, call 728-5938.
• "Meditation: A Guide for Beginners" with Anthony Maglione will be held at The Ross School at 5:30 p.m. The cost is $15; call 907-5376 for more information.
• The Ross School offers three community programs. Eileen Weilbacher, a certified holistic health counselor for "Be Healthy Now" will deliver a nutrition lecture entitled "Food=Mood" at 7 p.m. The cost is $20. From 6 to 7:30 p.m. yoga instructor Sheryl Hastalis will be offering a vinyasa yoga course, the first of four on Thursdays in May. The cost is $72 for four weeks. From 6 to 8 p.m. Lorraine Pepper will teach a beginners class in stained glass (four Thursdays). The cost is $145, plus a $25 materials fee. Call 907-5376 for information on these and other Ross Programs.
• The League of Women Voters invites the community to a free premiere of the documentary video on the affordable housing crisis on the South Fork at 10 a.m. in the East Hampton High School Auditorium. Call 324-6144 for more information.
• The East Hampton Kiwanis Club is sponsoring the Annual Pancake Breakfast at the Springs Fire House on Fort Bond Boulevard from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Admission to the buffet breakfast is $6 for adults, $3 for children.
• The Golf Tournament sponsored by the East Hampton Chamber of Commerce will be held at the Maidstone Club, beginning with lunch at noon, tee time at 1 p.m., followed by after-golf cocktails, dinner, and prizes. The cost is $2000 per foursome; call Marina Van at 324-0362 for more information.
• The Amagansett Free Library will be offering a free program series for infants up to 12 months of age and their caregivers on Mondays through May 22, from noon to 12:45 p.m. Come for lap stories, action songs, rhymes, and more. Call 267-3810 for more information.
• The Riverhead Town/East End Surf Fishing Club's annual beach cleanup will be held from 8 a.m. to noon. Anyone interested in this community event should call the Town of Riverhead Parks and Recreation Department at 727-5744 to pick up trash bags.
• The Making of Tomorrow's Models presents "The Blazing Hot Spring Fashion Show," at the Best Western in Riverhead, and will feature The Hitsquad Dancers, The Queens of Hip Hop, the Crunk Girls, and The Realest Dancers. Doors open at 4 p.m.; tickets are $7 for kids, $10 for adults. Call 208-8883 for more information.
• "Your Computer: The Possibilities 2, The Spreadsheet Program" will be sponsored by The Friends of the Southold Free Library from 3 to 5 p.m. Call 765-2077 to register.
• An "All about eBay Lecture and Demo" will be sponsored by the Friends of the Southold Free Library from 6 to 8 p.m. Call 765-2077 to register.
• The Southold Town Recreation Department will offer a free program on Identity Theft at 7 p.m. at the recreation center in Peconic. An Assistant District Attorney will present the approximately one-hour seminar. The ADA will also offer a question and answer period. Call 765-5182.
• Matt DeSimone's train extravaganza will be held from 3:45 to 4:30 at the Southold Free Library. Call 765-2077.
• The Town of Riverhead's Senior Citizen Conference will be held at the Riverhead Senior Citizens Center on Shade Tree Lane in Aquebogue, beginning at 8:30 a.m. with a continental breakfast. At 10 a.m., a keynote address titled "Growing Old is not for Sissies" will be held. The lunch hour will include a fashion show and a Q&A session with Supervisor Phil Cardinale. A choice of two afternoon workshops will be followed by dessert. Throughout the day, medical screening will be available. For more info, call 722-4444, ext. 290 or 205.