April 19, 2006
Deadline for submissions is Friday at noon. Please e-mail them to email@example.com or fax to: 324-2351.
• The East Hampton Union Free School District Board of Education will hold a special meeting to vote on the BOCES Administrative Budget at 8 a.m. in the district office.
• Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Dave Marcus will speak at the Ross School on "The Secret World of Teens and Tweens." Call 907-5555 for more information and times.
• The East Hampton Village Board of Trustees will hold its monthly meeting at 11 a.m. in the Emergency Services Building, 1 Cedar Street. Call 324-4250 for more information.
• At the 8:30 Erev Shabbat Service at The Jewish Center of the Hamptons, Rabbi David Gelfand will speak about "Holocaust Lessons: Janusz Korczak, a Jewish Saint."
• At the 10 a.m. Shabbat Morning Service at The Jewish Center of the Hamptons, Rabbi David Gelfand will speak about "Holocaust Lessons: Responding to the World Aflame." At 7:30 p.m. there will be a screening and discussion of the film Out of the Forest as part of the Yom HaShoah Observance.
• The Amagansett Free Library will be holding a journal writing workshop with Sarabelle Prince this Saturday, April 29, and May 6 from 11 to 12:30 p.m. For more information, call 267-3810 for more information.
• There will be an Earth Day Celebration at the Montauk Community Church, starting at 6 p.m.; bring your own covered dish (vegan dishes are suggested). At 7 p.m. there will be a sharing of songs, poems, and readings. Call John or Eileen at 668-2022 for more information.
• The Town of Southampton Parks & Rec Dept. will host "Spanish for Beginners II" at the Hampton Bays Community Center on Wednesdays through June 7 from 7 to 9 p.m. Call 728-8585.
• The Greek Orthodox Church of the Hamptons will offer the Sacrament of Holy Unction at 7 p.m. Call 283-6169.
• A Pen and Ink Drawing Program will be held on Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. by The Town of Southampton Parks & Rec. Dept. Open to anyone 18 years old and up. Call 728-8585 to register.
• Learn the secrets of creating outstanding tuna tartare at the Quogue Library at 6 p.m. A demonstration and tasting, as well as recipes, will be provided. There is a $7 materials fee. Call 653-4224.
• A pajama storytime at the Quogue Library will be held at 6 p.m. Call 653-4224.
• A Basic Bridge program will be held at the Hampton Bays Community Center on Thursdays through May 25 from 7 to 9 p.m. The program fees are $50 for residents and $60 for non-residents. The Southampton Parks & Rec Dept will also host "Decorative Acrylic Paintings for the Home and Garden" at the Arts and Crafts Center from 7 to 9 p.m. Continues April 27. Call 728-8585.
• Celebrate Holy Thursday with the Greek Orthodox Church of the Hamptons at 7 p.m. Call 283-6169.
• "Life After Work: Drawing From The Figure" will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursdays through May 25 at the Parrish Art Museum in Southampton. Study directly from a live model with instructor Caleb Nelson Carter. Call 283-2118.
• The Greek Orthodox Church of the Hamptons will offer the vespers of the Descent from the Cross at 3 p.m., and Lamentations at 7:30 p.m. Call 283-6169.
• A pasta dinner will be held at the Bridgehampton Community House from 5 to 8 p.m. Admission for children is $5; adults, $10, and children under five, free. Door prizes, raffles, 50/50. It will benefit the Bridgehampton School's Class of 2006.
• Middle School students in grades six through eight are invited to a dance from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the Hampton Bays Community Center. Transportation, admission, food, and refreshments are all free. Call 287-5734, ext. 390.
• A recreational soccer program for five to 14-year olds will be held on Saturdays through June 3. The five to seven-year old program runs from 9 to 10 a.m. The eight to 14-year-old program runs from 10 to 11 a.m. Call 728-8585.
• See spring wildlife along Dune Road with the Group for the South Fork from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Search for wading birds of several species, migrating and nesting shorebirds, common loons, and perhaps a harbor seal. Call Steve Biasetti at 537-1400, ext. 15.
• Anne Halpin, lecturer and author of Homescaping: Designing Your Landscape to Match Your Home, will talk at 10 a.m. at Marders' Garden Shop, at the store in Bridgehampton. All are welcome. Call 537-3700.
• The Southampton Trails Preservation Society will host a moderate four-mile hike, beginning at 10 a.m. Meet on Camp Hero Road. Call 725-2888.
• An Easter Resurrection Service will be held at the Greek Orthodox Church of the Hamptons at 11:15 p.m.
• The Quogue Library will host an "Up-A-Tree Puppetry" presentation of "Mother Earth" at noon. Tom Stock entertains. This interactive family show is geared to children in grades pre-K through sixth grade. Call 653-4224.
• Learn how to make sophisticated and fashionable pendants and pins at noon at the Quogue Library. The class begins at noon and there is a $10 materials free to attend. Call 653-4224.
• The Town of Southampton Parks & Rec will host its Comedy and Improvisation for Youth acting instruction program on Saturdays through May 13 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at the Westhampton Community Center. Call 725-8585.
• The Quogue Library will host the movie Crash at 6:30 p.m. Price of admission is a bottle of wine or other beverage, plus a dish to share that serves at least six people. To register, call 653-4224.
• Marders in Bridgehampton will offer complimentary bagels and coffee from 10 a.m. to noon. Call 537-3700.
• The Vespers of Agape (Love) will be held at 11 a.m. at the Greek Orthodox Church of the Hamptons.
• The Quogue Library's Fiction Book Discussion Group will discuss Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer, by Steven Millhauser, at noon. Copies of the book are available at the front desk. Call 653-4224.
• "Go Wild About Llamas" from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Red Creek Park in Hampton Bays. For ages three to eight years. The cost is $7 per child and pre-registration is required. Call 728-8585.
• Visit some of Sag Harbor's historic houses of worship from 2 to 4:30 p.m. Meet on Union Street in front of the Whalers Church. Call 725-5861.
• Learn how to work with your digital photos from 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at the Hampton Bays Public Library, $20. Call 728-6241.
• Learn Internet Basics at the Quogue Library at 6:30 p.m. Call 653-4224.
• A workshop for parents/guardians of students with disabilities will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Morris Meeting Room of Rogers Memorial Library in Southampton. Call 283-6631 for more info.
• Nature Lyceum will hold a two-day course design to educate companies and individuals on how to understand and use organics at 406 Old Mill Road in Westhampton from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Continues tomorrow. The cost is $449, tax deductible. Call 283-1915 for more info.
• The Westhampton Presbyterian Church will host a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. at the 90 Meeting House Road.
• A youth soccer program will be held at Red Creek Park in Hampton Bays on Wednesdays through June 7 for girls and boys from three to five years old from 10 to 11 a.m. or 1 to 2 p.m. Call 728-8585.
• The Southold Town Trustees will hold a work session from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., followed by their regular meeting, from 6:30 to 11 p.m.
• The Greenport Village Board of Trustees will hold its regular meeting at 7 p.m. at the Fire House.
• In conjunction with Women's Health Partnership, CAST is offering free enrollment for women's health services, including pap smears, mammography, and clinical breast exams from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 477-1717.
• An antique show and sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Old Town Arts and Crafts Guild on Route 25 in Cutchogue. Call 734-6382.
• Signing Smart has developed a new curriculum for Kindermusik. Children six months to three years and their caregivers will learn up to 50 signs. "Sign and Sing" runs on Saturdays from 10 to 10:45 a.m. through May 20 at the East End Arts Council. Call 369-2171.
• Dr. Raymond Knab and Liz Irwin will give the seminar: "How To Run a Successful Nonprofit in the 21st Century" from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Custer Institute in Southold. Another session will be held on April 29 from 2 to 5 p.m. Custer members: $65 per session or $115 for both sessions; non-members pay $75 per session or $135 for both sessions. Pre-registration required. Call 696-3333.
• The East Marion Chapel will present a covered dish supper and presentation of "Behold the Lamb" by chalk artist Diane Hannah at 5:30 p.m. As Diane shares the Easter story, it will come to live on the easel. Bring a casserole, salad or dessert to share. Call 477-0075.
• Art Goldberg will give his "Reflections from the Amazon Rain Forest" at the Southold Indian Museum at 2:30 p.m. Call 765-5577.
• The Southold Planning Board will hold a work session from 4 to 6 p.m. at Town Hall.
• The Southold Town Board will hold a work session from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., followed by its regular meeting, from 4:30 to 7.
• The Parents of Children with Special Needs will meet from 6 to 9 p.m. at the George Young Community Center in Jamesport. Call 727-5744, ext. 27.